Saturday, November 22, 2008

Here Are the Data on Goader's Training for Special-needs Childrfen



There was no orientation for summer school and I received no training in dealing with students who are severely or profoundly mentally handicapped. My area of expertise is in teaching students with learning disabilities. This is a totally different area of special education compared to teaching students with severely or profoundly mental handicaps.


It is analogous to specialties in the medical field. A brain surgeon is a physician as is a family physician, but you would not expect a family physician to be familiar with brain surgery. Brain surgery is a specialty field for physicians.


Likewise, teaching severely or profoundly mentally handicapped students is a specialty field for special education teachers. I had no, nor did anyone offer, training in teaching severely or profoundly mentally handicapped students.


Therefore, unbeknownst to me at the time, the department head and principal had no business placing me in a severely or profoundly mentally handicapped class.

See all comments on this post here:

http://es-kay.net/?p=805#comments


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lee. We appreciate all you do.

Anonymous said...

I usually don?t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work..