Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Oh, Yeah? You Just Try it, Bud!



This reader has it right. I would go over the hill with him or her.

Hop up and down, complain, bitch, moan, gripe, and boohoo. Keep the spotlight on you. Don't be afraid of looking ridiculous. Ridiculous works. Don’t let the villains get a word in edgewise. lee

From: Anonymous [mailto:noreply-comment@blogger.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:42 PM
To: tdecesar@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: [Lee Drury De Cesare's Casting-Room Couch] New comment on Advice from the Sister- and Brotherhood.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Advice from the Sister- and Brotherhood":

If Yvonne Lyons of CTA has nothing to be ashamed of she would have simply told Thomas what the deal is, but she got huffy with him and told him to rethink his way of resolving issues because she had no defense for why she and CTA are not helping him.

Lyons should be calling the reporters every single day screaming that teachers are underpaid and overworked and having to take on more duties b/c of the economic crisis. She should do this even if the reporters know this about teachers. She should hound them and get the newspapers to report about how small this year's raise was while prices for food, etc. have gone up. She should tell them to compare district official salaries. She should attack, attack, attack.....

Then, all the teachers would join CTA.

Publish this comment.

Reject this comment.

Moderate comments for this blog.

Posted by Anonymous to Lee Drury De Cesare's Casting-Room Couch at 2:41 PM

Yes there is safety from bullying. Establish the reputation of not putting up with it. That is the only safety available. This involves standing up for your rights no matter what. lee

-----Original Message-----
From: ES-KAY [mailto:goader@es-kay.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:35 PM
To: tdecesar@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: [EsKay] New Comment On: The Etiology of Workplace Retaliation

There is a new comment on the post "The Etiology of Workplace Retaliation".

http://es-kay.net/?p=823

Author:

Comment:

rossac high ups retaliate against junior rossac people too...there is no safety from bullying. HR is ineffective and no solutions are available. Protecting people is the name of the game. every attempt i have made to find redress has resulted in further retaliation. My suggestion is the EEOC claims office in Tampa.

See all comments on this post here:

http://es-kay.net/?p=823#comments

To manage your subscriptions or to block all notifications from this site, click the link below:

http://es-kay.net/?wp-subscription-manager=1&email=tdecesar%40tampabay.rr.com&key=d994f04a639b81a9eb6e225be8f99db1


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lee,

This is the comment I left on Goader's last post:

Absolutely! I have seen up what administrative retaliation looks like up close and personal. This included a hostile workplace where any other employees seen speaking to me were quickly brought into the Principal’s office and chewed out for their lack of loyalty. This eventually turned to very unsafe working conditions as I could not get anyone to assist me in breaking up several fights between students. My office and harddrive were searched on a nightly basis. I could go on and on. I drew the line when my principal locked themself in the office and left me alone to handle an upset violent, and mentally ill (almost terminated teacher). I was stalked, threatened, ostracized, you pick it it happened to me. I fought fire with fire. I took my written complaints all the way up the ladder (principal, area director, proffessional standards, superintendent’s office and the internal affairs division with the Hillsborough
County Sherriff’s Offie) and guess what happened? NOTHING! Not one word. None of these folks were willing to do what was RIGHT, only what was expected.

Obviously I have left a great deal out of this rendition, but have included enough so the jist of it can be derived.

I let it get to me. I felt extremely violated and totally disappointed in my organization. I had such high standards when I started this job, but see that I am one of the exceptions in my peer group, not the rule.

The long and short of it was is that I was threatened with a transfer. My response to this was not only NO, but hell NO. Furthermore, if this line of action was pursued, I would be speaking to every media outlet I could find. I then made sure that every party involved got a copy of the memo with the media threat.

Not too long after all this went down, the parties involved started getting promoted, taking early retirement, seeking employment outside education and so on. I’m sure you get the picture.

Lee problably says it best when she tells her readers “when in Rome…”. I was in Rome and giving back better than I got. Guess what, I’m the last one standing and I’m still here!

You too can do it. Don’t be afraid, be on the offense, not the defense. Do NOT be a doormat. Do not cower or let them know they are getting to you….even when they are. Start carrying a recorder so the next time you get called into one of the impromptu meetings, whip that baby out and introduce it as your impartial witness. It gets them every time.

Good luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you.


Thank you (a little late) for your excellent words of advice and wisdom. Even if I only read about them, they were still highly effective.