Friday, April 25, 2008


Continuation of the Erwin Legal Files

The auditorium at Durant filled with water and we ended up with what was almost equivalent to a swimming pooi in the auditorium that had to be corrected.

Specifications called for solid doors, instead we got hollow doors throughout Durant. It was a tremendous cost and maintenance problem to change those. I was told by Maintenance East that in a short period of time we had over 2000 maintenance request for that facility. I understand that we did get a little bit of money to cover some of that but just recently a million dollars was allocated to attempt to fix the air conditioning.

Mother situation is right after that building was built, at Sickles 115, the same incident occurred with the doors. It was discovered after the fact, I learned in staff today, which is October 23, 2000. That issue was discussed. Mr. Blackwell said that nobody would hold the
contractor responsible simply because he may go bankrupt if we did this. I’ve heard this story too often.

Similar story exists at Walker Middle School where we received a terrible construction project that was late and needs painting and has all kinds of problems. I guess I’ve covered about as much as I can at this particular time Again, I want to emphasize that I don’t know why we have the construction problems we have but it’s just obvious to me there are problems.

I’m tired of sitting in staff and trying to find creative ways to present the problem or in my terminology, I sometimes call it finding creative ways to just to present the real truth. I think the entire situation needs to be looked at and if nothing else, changing the way we do business.

I have told the Superintendent and others I don’t ever want to go to a selection process if I’m going to be told that it doesn’t make any difference - that other factors based on who people know and who they’ve supported politically will get the work - then continue to see some of the poor products that we’re getting.

A good source of this information to look at the products that we have gotten is my Air Conditioning and Special Projects Departments. Clay Ward in Special Projects, just today, sat in staff (October 23, 2000) and talked about problems associated with Wharton HS.

As I said, these problems have not gone away. I hope with the risk I’m taking in revealing some of these conversations that appropriate action will be taken.

Thank you.
Doug Erwin, General Director of Operations
NewConsmspect

PERSONNEL ISSUES
> Hemy Ballard:

Dr. Edwards hired Henry as Supervisor of C & E. Dr. Edwards shared with me what a disaster C& E had been and the problems Henry caused.

He also stated that a promotion to Construction Inspector had to be given to Henry to get him out because of Henry’s

close relationship with Ms. Barrington and Mrs. Reddick. Henry had problems in his new position and Dr. Edwards then asked that I try to find ajob for Mr. Ballard in
Maintenance.

I was unsuccessful in my attempt. Henry created problems throughout Maintenance Operations. Dr. Hamilton became Assistant Superintendent of Operations and moved
Henry back as Supervisor of C & B. Dr. Hamilton said that he didn’t expect that Mr. Barrington or Mrs. Reddick would run for re-election and Henry could then be dealt with.
Mr. Barrington and Mrs. Reddick have now been re-elected. Jack Davis is now Asst. Superintendent of Operations and also feels nothing can be done because of Mr. Ballard’s political connections.

Henry’s tenure in C & F has in met expectatopms. It is my

understanding now that Henry is going to be given a substantial raise and moved again.

> Joe Deese:

Joe was reported as smoking crack cocaine in a maintenance truck miles from his designated work site. He tested positive for cocaine. Joe is now an Air Conditioning Trades helper at Benito Middle School.

> John Werner, Jr.:
John had a problem at the bus garage. He was transferred to our Grounds Department by Human Resources.

> Leonard Limehouse:

Very bad work record in Sites & Utilities (See attachment). Transferred to Grounds.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The newspapers are reporting that Elia is saying that none of the school district's budget cuts are going to impact the school sites. She is lying through her teeth. She held a principals' meeting in which the principals were told not to tell anyone.....she wants each principal to cut a unit at his/her school.

Anonymous said...

Which they did.

Anonymous said...

This makes Elia a liar.

twinkobie said...

My experience says that Ms. Elia routinely lies. lee