Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No More Excuses

To Ms. Elia and all board members plus Mr. Davis

One more reason to vote for Obama: There are those who chafe a bit when we take shots at McCain's age, but there's always a deeper point lurking behind many of those shots (cheap or not) -- leading the world's sole superpower in this digital era should require basic understanding of those things which drive the modern culture and economy. Asked whether he is a Mac or PC person, McCain answered:

Neither, I'm an illiterate that has to rely on my wife for all of the assistance I can get.

School Board:

Only one school-board member, Griffin, has a Web page. It’s time the other board members get competent in computers so that they can construct Web sites as re-election approaches. People in politics like McClain, above, who tries to be cute about his ignorance, are no longer acceptable.

People involved in education leadership can no longer afford to be dumb about computers. All the incumbents’ opponents have Web sites. Mr. Smit came up to me and told me he had a Web site last night at the board meeting. He said he did it after I wrote and asked him where his was.

Get Jack Davis, head of technology, to teach you. Tell him you need a board seminar or several. Davis has not a single computer credit on his resume, but my guess is that he knows how to construct a Web site. Ask him. No, he’s your employee. Order him to teach the board Web-construction illiterati to mount a Web site so they can talk to their constituents, students, and gadflies. Being Web-site savvy may save your job.

When Bart Birdsall sent emails to Joe Stine of the County Library complaining about Stine’s cooperation with the shutdown of Wanda Storms’s bill to deprive gays of full rights in the library of which Stine was head, the gutless Stine, instead of answering him, went running with a citizen’s email to his boss. Pat Bean forwarded the emails to Ms. Elia. Both Stines and Birdsall are gay. When Bart Birdsall and I-- after Ms. Kipley and Ms. Elia had cooked up a case against Bart of using the school emails for private purposes-- attended Tiger Bay, at which Ms. Elia spoke, we asked her about the frame-up she and Kipley had cooked up. One supposes that they got Le Jack’s help in scanning the system computers. When we asked her why she sent emails produced at Bart’s home to Linda Kipley for a school charge against Birdsall, Elia said she didn’t know how to distinguish the “to” and “from” information on an email.

As we walked away, I said to Bart, “If the superintendent will lie flagrantly about something as easy to detect as this, she’ll lie about anything."

Lee Drury De Cesare


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we walked away, I said to Bart, “If the superintendent will lie flagrantly about something as easy to detect as this, she’ll lie about anything."

A fine sentiment, Lee! I feel the same way.

Paul Barnard

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Lee received Debra Satchel information before she received Tom Gonzalez's letter. She posted his letter for all to see, so she is not trying to hide anything. She understood that Gonzalez had missed a filing deadline. Gonzalez sent her a letter correcting that info, and she posted that for all to see. What do you want from her, and why are you obsessing over this minor issue when there are more important issues. Why don't you tell us what you think of Spring, teachers teaching more time, etc?
Bart

Anonymous said...

You weren't suprised, were you?

Anonymous said...

Lee-- the date's on my calendar--do the rest of the Trib Twelve know?

Anonymous said...

Bart,

You are wrong. Well after she posted Gonzalez's letter, Lee was insisting that she had not received it. Check Lee's blog entries. Unfortunately people like you would rather write "stop obsessing" than check facts.

As I wrote, I agree with Lee's sentiment; but I didn't specify. As you have asked why I obsess, I'll answer. If Lee can lie about receiving the document, she'll lie about anything - just like the superintendent. There's a lot more proof that Lee lied about receiving Gonzalez's document than there is about Elia's ability to tell her "to" from her "from".

Perhaps I obsess over this "minor" issue for the same reasons that Lee, you and many others do, but you just don't like it when the shoe's on the other foot.

I don't think I want anything from Lee. She wanted something tough to answer, and it seems that this is it.

I obsess a lot less by asking for this information than Lee would obsess about asking Gonzalez repeatedly for the amount of money hoe got for the Erwin case or a host of other things. Have you ever suggested that Lee lay off the trivial stuff about commas and such and focus on the issues? No.

I don't write about Spring and teachers teaching (possessive before those gerunds, Bartyboy; it's important) more time because I figure that there are enough people doing that already. What lacks are people taking Lee to task over her hypocrisy.


Paul Barnard

twinkobie said...

Leave Paul alone, Bart. I think he's a fan of mine but won't admit it. My admirers turn up in the most bizarre guises.

I will post Paul's rebukes as I always let the smart kid in the back of the room criticize my scholarship to the class. This is America. Paul is an irate citizen. And Paul, you have beoome my favorite student. I believe that's your goal. You have achieved it. A mother of four and a granny of ten has amazing powers of divination.

I can see that you are smart. Teachers are good at spotting intelligence. I hope you go on to do something with your mind that is worthy of it. Defending Tom Gonzalez is not worthy of your talents. I have rearranged the furniture in Tom's head during our short acquaintance. He will never be the same after our scuffles. You won't meet anybody who rearranges neurons of braqgadocios' noggins better than I. lee